Friday, February 10, 2012

The Ultimate BLT

A BLT is the ultimate sandwich, but with a few flourishes and top quality ingredients it can really go from standard to gourmet.  Of most importance is of course, the bacon.  Standard Irish back rashers just do not cut it.  Streaky rashers, smoked and without rind are better, but if you can find it, buy the Spanish brand Campofrio Bacon. It's beautifully smoked, the perfect blend of meat and fat and fries up delightfully crispy.  My kids call it American bacon because it's very similar to what we got back in the US.  I've found it at Supervalu's and Centra's mainly and when I see it, I buy it all so that they keep ordering it!  I just fry the bacon up in a hot pan or grill pan until it is crispy but not burnt and drain it.  The rest is easy.  I used a rosemary and apricot jam for my relish here and also frequently use a roasted garlic and fig relish, you can use anything you like. My husband claims this is the reason he fell in love with me! :)

Ingredients:

  • 2 slices good white bread, lightly toasted
  • 1/4 pound bacon, fried to crispy
  • 2 leaves Baby Gem / Cos Lettuce
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
  • Good Mayonnaise
  • Relish
  • German mustard
  • Black pepper
Thinly spread mustard on one of the toast slices.  Cover with a thin spreading of your relish or jam.  

Lather the other piece of toast with a hearty helping of mayonnaise.

Layer the lettuce, tomato and red onion on top and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.  Top with bacon and remaining slice of toast. 

Serve with chips (crisps) and a pickle for posterity! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...