Monday, February 13, 2012

Cop Out Valentine's Cookies

I was drooling yesterday whilst exploring Pinterest and seeing all the beautifully decorated Valentine's cookies.  I even thought of making some and getting out my cookie cutters and all that jazz, but with two sick girls at home and me being 15 months pregnant, I couldn't be bothered, so I made my old standard buttercream sugar cookies with heart sprinkles.

In America you can buy these thick soft sugar cookies in grocery stores that generally come with frosting and sprinkles relevant to the season in question.  They were always brought to work on "food days" back in my corporate days.  They were literally inhaled.  While delicious, a quick glance at the ingredients let you know that they were not the healthiest, full of chemicals and preservatives.  This is my attempt at a homemade version and let me tell you, the real butter makes these simply divine!  They are still inhaled wherever I take them.  I like to dye the buttercream for kids parties, yellow with multi-coloured sprinkles being our favourite, but I opted to leave the buttercream white here and use heart sprinkles for Valentine's Day.  The question is... will they last until then?

Cookie Ingredients (Makes approximately 50):

  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 12 oz butter, softened
  • 1.5 cups caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.

Sift dry ingredients together, set aside.

Whip butter with sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients until it comes together in a sticky dough.

Using a dessert spoon make one inch balls out of the dough and press down slightly on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 13-15 minutes, until just starting to brown around the edges, you want them to be cooked through but remain mostly white.

For the frosting:
  • 2 lb boxes icing sugar
  • 6 oz butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 ounces cream
  • Food colouring (if dyeing)
  • Sprinkles
Beat butter and sugar together with vanilla and half the cream.  Add more cream until desired consistency reached. Dye as needed.  Spread on cooled cookies with a palette knife and dip in sprinkles!  Enjoy! :)

I'm submitting my lazy-ass cop out Valentine's baking to The English Mum Baked With Love Bake-off


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...