Thursday, April 19, 2012

Parsnip and Coriander Soup

I recently had lunch with my parents in a little cafe in Ballina and my Mom ordered a Parsnip and Coriander soup.  Let the record show that I hate parsnip, with a passion, so when she asked me to try it I was incredulous and refused.  My Mom however is not one to take no for an answer so she forced the issue and I acquiesced only to find myself completely blown away by a sweet, creamy peppery concoction that didn't taste like parsnip at all. I immediately grilled the cafe owner on the recipe, determined to make the soup at home.  I get an organic box every week and when parsnips come in it, they just go to waste, but now I had something to do with them.  This is my attempt to recreate the soup and I have to say it was fabulous, even the kids ate it and that's high praise indeed. 

Ingredients:
  • Knob of butter
  • 3 large pasrnsips, roughly chopped
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1L good vegetable stock
  • 1 cup (8 fl oz) heavy cream
  • 1 large bunch coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to season
  • Coriander and cream to garnish

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the onions.  Saute for a few minutes until softening.  Add the parsnips and cook for about ten minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the garlic and stir for a minute, then add the stock.  Simmer for half an hour until the parsnip is cooked through. Add the cream and the coriander.

Using an immersion blender, blitz the soup until it's smooth and creamy.  Season with salt and pepper and garnish with more coriander and a drizzle of cream if you like.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...