Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fluffy Oatmeal Pancakes


My kids are pancake mad. They would have pancakes or waffles every day if I let them, but as it is I reserve them for weekends.  I've been trying to get more whole grains into them of late, so began experimenting with healthier pancake batter.  This final recipe is a real winner. Even though it's mostly oats and whole wheat flour, they remain fluffy and light and are divine with a little butter and maple syrup.  I mix this in a food processor so I can process the oats before adding the remaining ingredients.  Normally pancakes are terrible when done in a food processor, as they get over whisked and tough, but because of the whole ingredients in this recipe, it works just fine.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1.5 cups buttermilk*
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
Whizz oats in food processor until floury in texture. Add whole wheat flour and whizz again.  Add reminaing dry ingredients and pulse to combine.  

Add wet ingredients and blend until combined.

Grease a small frying pan with butter and wipe.  Ladle in about one quarter cup of the batter and swirl the pan to spread it out.  Cook over a medium-low heat until bubbles for in the centre of the pancake.  Flip and cook other side.  Repeat with remaining batter.  

To keep warm, I put a little water in a pot and keep it simmering. I top the pot with a plate and place the pancakes on top as I go, topping with a lid.  It keeps them warm but doesn't allow them to dry out.

Serve warm with butter and real maple syrup.

* You can substitute regular milk soured with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...