Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Migas: The perfect breakfast?



It sounds like a Spanish word for something naughty, but in this context, it's referring to the most incredible Tex-Mex breakfast I've ever encountered.  I first read about them over at Pioneer Woman and like 99.9% of her recipes I knew I had to make them... NOW!  So I made them and like any other fatty I inhaled about three portions.  They are truly sublime and must be tried by all.  When I decided to start WW I knew that wouldn't change and that I had to make a weight watchers friendly alternative.

I'm quite the foodie, so I do not go in for extra-light chemical ridden varieties of real food.  I'd rather skip out on something than use a half-assed substitute for it, so I knew this could be a challenge, however I managed to pull off migas that tasted just as good, with virtually no fat!  The nutritional information and points will vary depending on the corn tortilla's you use.  Mine had 128 calories.  This will make enough migas to satisfy even the hungriest of dieters and only cash in at three points!  I omitted the cheese entirely (and couldn't really tell), but you could easily add it back and adjust the points.

WW Migas


(serves 1)

1 egg
2 egg whites
1/4 green pepper, diced
1/4 red pepper
1/2 onion, diced
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 small jalapeƱo, diced
1 corn tortilla
2-3 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
cooking spray

Heat a medium skillet and place tortilla in the dry pan.  Heat for a few minutes until it just starts to brown.  Flip and heat the other side for a little bit longer.  Remove from heat.  It will crisp up as it cools. Once cool, slice into thin strips then slice the strips into thirds.

Spray skillet with cooking spray and add the pepper and onion, frying for a few minutes, stirring often.  Add tomatoes and jalapeno and stir for another minute.

Meanwhile, beat egg with egg whites.  Add to vegetable mixture with tortilla and turn heat down low.  Scramble slowly so as not to burn.

Once cooked to your liking, move to a serving plate and sprinkle with roughly chopped coriander.  Eat up!

WW Points: 3
Inspiration: Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...